These days being ethical and sustainable is paramount to the survival of our species (and others!) and is something I’m very passionate about. Yes it is true: I realise 1+1=2 and hence conclude climate change is real ;).
In fact my longest term client Local Futures is all about creating a better and more sustainable world for us all – so I’m very well versed in this area.
Environmentally sustainable website development
- Green Hosting
- Green Hardware – digiflip designs and build websites using only Apple Mac computers. These have some of the greenest specifications ever seen in computing hardware, please see their website for details.
- Renewable Energy – digiflip is powered by green energy wherever possible
- Small Footprint – since digiflip really just consists of me working from home my carbon footprint is minimised:
- No commuting to work, I usually ride bike to see clients if they are local
- Green waste gets turned to soil by our council
- We recycle and repair all that we can.
- Printing – my printer is just a glorified dust collector since everything is digital
- Purchasing – I buy things only if and when I need them and I make sure they are of a high quality – not designed with planned obsolescence
Ethically and socially sustainable website development
- I refuse to build websites for people running pyramid schemes
- I prefer not to build websites for businesses who’s primary income is derived from non renewable resources – such as mining companies